Being healthy is obviously the most important aspect of survival. Too often as men we take our health for granted, but of your health fails you cannot work, you cannot take care of your kids and you cannot even take care of yourself. For those wanting to address those extra pounds that have accumulated around the belly the obvious choice is to go to the gym, pump a little iron and let it all fall back into place. Well this may work when you're young, but as you get older the weights get a little heavier and the pounds are more reluctant to leave. In addition, if the gym routine has gotten old and boring you may not work out as hard as you need to drop that additional weight.
Never fear. There are many alternatives to going to the gym that are actually fun and extremely effective. Below are some good alternatives to the gym that you can explore. Who knows the change may be just what the doctor ordered.
1. Running The simplest and least expensive form of exercise on the planet. Just get a comfortable pair of running shoes and hit the streets. Running is about setting goals, so don't worry if you can't run 5 miles the first time out. It's all about continuous improvement, exercise and relaxation.
2. Biking One step above running is riding and getting on your bike and hitting the streets is a great way to burn calories. You can cover a lot more ground than running and if you find out that you really love riding you can turn the workout into a part time job as a messenger.
3. Basketball Basketball is not just played in a gym or on a PlayStation. Going to the local park and playing ball with the fellas will definitely burn a ton of calories.
4. Boot Camp If you want to get outside AND get away try a workout boot camp. There are several types of fitness boot camps that range from 30 to 90 days. You don't have to be a child or go on The Biggest Loser to go to camp. These camps are for everyone wanting to be 100% focused on getting fit.
To find a fitness boot camp in your area just do a Google search with your zip code (ex: "fitness boot camp 94610")
5. P90X, Workout Tapes Why go to the gym for a workout when you can let the workout come to you. Home Workout tapes and CDs let you work out on your own schedule and often don't require you to have a ton of weights or clunky machines at home. A few dumbbells and some resistance bands and yu're good. Best of all, most workout tapes come along with nutritional instructions so you can eat right while you're exercising the pounds off.
2 Organizations for Outdoor Activities
Outdoor Afro If you're looking to get healthy, meet some new friends and try some new activities, Outdoor Afro might be a great organization to look into. Hiking, biking, kayaking and all things outdoors represent the playground of the members of this group. Based in California, Outdoor Afro has a large following of African American outdoor enthusiasts.
The group is very accepting of new members and you can always find many members at their planned events that occur year round. for more info on the group, check out their website at www.outdoorafro.com
National Brotherhood of Skiers The joke used to be that if you saw something black on the side of a snow covered mountain you had more chance of it being Bigfoot rather than a black man. Those stereotypes are old and no longer apply as thousands of African American men and women religiously ski as soon as fresh powder is available. The National Brotherhood of Skiers, founded in 1974 is the premiere organization to participate in fun ski events and meet hundreds of like minded individuals who love skiing and snowboarding.
If you're looking to get a nice workout in, you will get it on the slopes, just stay away from the buffets and drinks at night if you're looking to keep your exercise gains intact. www.nbs.org
Total muscle mass decreases by nearly 50% for people between the ages of 20 and 90.
On average, people lose about 30% of their strength between ages 50 and 70, and another 30 percent of what's left per decade after that.
Generally, people lose about 1% of their lean muscle mass per year after age 40.
Two of the major causes of Diabetes are being overweight and having high blood pressure. Getting your exercise can help you avoid one of these Top 10 killers of black men. Click here to read more about Diabetes.
Return to Health Survival Guide Home